As of September 1, 2014, the Western Iowa Synod, through its congregations, has given over $99,000 to the ELCA Malaria Campaign. The ELCA has raised $12.8 million (on a goal of $15 million).
The ELCA Malaria Campaign helps finance some of the following activities:
- Providing life saving health care, including medicine to treat malaria
- Training to diagnose and treat malaria
- Educating people to protect themselves from, recognize symptoms of and seek treatment for malaria
- Distributing treated mosquito nets and training on their proper use
- Working with governments to provide adequate healthcare and engage in malaria prevention activities
These are just a few of the things the campaign supports - there are many more.
Pictures of the Kanawha Lutheran Church's float raising awareness for the Malaria campaign.